2016-2017 Maurice Faulkner Brass Quintet. From left: David Nakazono (trumpet), Dylan Aguilera (tenor trombone), Nick Mazuk (bass trombone), Lily Apar (trumpet), Sara Aronson (horn)
MUS A45, A145, A245
Class time and location: TBA
The Maurice Faulkner Brass Quintet is comprised of the leading brass students at UCSB. A cutting edge ensemble, it performs music from the Baroque to modern periods, including jazz. The quintet tours, presents frequent concerts, and also records. The Quintet is named for the late Maurice Faulkner, a legendary brass professor and longtime faculty member.
Auditions for 2 trumpets, tenor trombone, bass trombone or tuba (MUSA 45 /145).
Friday, September 27, 11 am to noon, room 2305. Sign up for a time on the door.
Trumpet Repertoire, outlined between red lines
- Korngold Fanfare 1 - all (not 2 or 3)
- Holst- pickups to letter B up until the 7 measures of rest
- Ewald- fortissimo before rehearsal 6 to four measures after 7.
Tenor Trombone, Bass Trombone or Tuba
Friday, September 27, Noon to 1 pm, room 2305. Sign up for a time on the door.
Tenor Trombone Repertoire, pages 1 through 4
- Ballad (Fischer Tull, Exhibition)
- IV (Albinoni, Sonata St. Mark) measure 43 to the end
- Chaconne (Malcolm Arnold, Quintet) letter F thru letter J
Bass Trombone Audition Repertoire or Tuba, pages 5 thru 8
- Chaconne (Malcolm Arnold, Quintet) beginning thru first bar of letter B
- Frolic (Fischer Tull, Exhibition)
- Mvt. 1 (Ewald, Quintet #1) beginning thru bar 4 of number 4